Question: If I get a Provisional Patent and things go well, do I then need to get a Full Utility Patent?

Question Detail: I’m just trying to decide where I should start. I’d prefer to not spend as much money as the Utility Patent but if I’ll hopefully need it eventually, I’m thinking it might be worth it.

Answer: If you want to get an issued patent, you will need to file a non-provisional (utility) patent application. Only an issued patent will give you the right to sue an infringer.

The cost of filing a utility application can vary a lot. We only have fixed fees to prepare and file patent applications.